I was chatting with a friend today. In the course of our conversation, I heard myself tell him, “Ben Franklin said, ‘alcohol does not drown sorrows, but waters them, and helps them grow.'” He said Franklin was a genius.
Of course he was a genius. They don’t put you on the hundred-dollar bill for being average.
Without Franklin’s life and contributions, the United States would not be as great a nation as it has been and is. I can’t think of another individual for whom that statement is more true. Here are 10 of my favorite BF quotes:
1. He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.
2. He that would live in peace and at ease, must not speak all he knows nor judge all he sees.
3. How many observe Christ’s birthday! How few, his precepts! O! ’tis easier to keep Holidays than Commandments.
4. If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing.
5. Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
6. To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
7. Force shites on reason’s back.
8. To find out a girl’s faults, praise her to her girl friends.
9. When in doubt, don’t.
10. We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.